Hidden Churches and Chapels of Lincolnshire
This tour is now FULL. If you would like a place on the waiting list for a possible repeat tour later this year please contact us.
We are offering a unique opportunity to visit some of the splendid hidden chapels and churches of Lincolnshire.
Religious worship has always played a major part in the life of Lincolnshire. Scattered throughout the county are many delightful churches and chapels, some still standing and in regular use, others evocative ruins. A number of the buildings we will visit are being specially opened for us. You will be accompanied throughout by one of our tutors. Each building we have chosen to visit is special for its own reason; whether its isolated setting, architectural style or unique interior.
We plan to visit about 12 sites including:
- The great Anglo-Saxon and Norman Minster church at Stow.
- St Ediths at Coats with its original rood loft (the only one remaining in Lincolnshire).
- The tiny Tudor brick church of St George at Goltho with its 18th-century wooden interior.
- The isolated church at Snarford whose interior is dominated by outstanding Elizabethan and Jacobean decorated tombs.
- The little Georgian Palladian-style church of St Margaret's set in beautiful parkland at Well.
- The church at Bag Enderby with its unusual perpendicular font.
- St Peter and Paul at Langton-by-Spilsby with its unaltered Georgian interior.
- The simple Methodist chapel over a stable in Raithby where Wesley once preached.
- The church at Langworth-by-Wragby with its art-nouveau decoration.
Also on the itinery are the churches at Baumber, Oxcombe and Haugham in their lovely settings within the Lincolnshire Wolds
The weekend starts on Friday evening with a glass of wine and a special lecture on the ecclesiastical buildings of Lincolnshire. Saturday is spent touring with a special tutor to each of the sites. There will be time for a pub lunch and stops for coffee & tea. The social side of the weekend continues with dinner in Lincoln on Saturday evening. Sunday morning there see visits to three more exceptional churches.What's Included:
2 nights B&B at the 3 star Lincoln Hotel
Full English Breakfast on Saturday & Sunday
Friday evening wine reception and talk
Saturday and Sunday transport to and from sites and tutor led tours
Saturday evening dinner
All coffee, tea and cakes!
The lecture, dinner and accommodation are all based in the historic uphill area of Lincoln close to the magnificent Cathedral; there is just time in the weekend for you to squeeze in a visit if you have the energy!
The cost of this weekend break is from £235, inclusive of accommodation.
28-30 April 2006